Monday, January 30, 2012

Marmalade Part 1


Every year I forget that marmalade is not a quick process. You'd think I would have learnt by now! So today I started making my first batch for the year. There are lots of different recipes and basically two different methods. One involves peeling the oranges very carefully avoiding the pith ( the bitter white layer between the flesh and the skin) and  slicing the peel  the then cooking the orange. This process is too complicated and fiddly for me so I prefer the whole orange cooking  method. This is my recipe which is a cross between Nigella Lawson's and Pam Corbin's recipes . It can be made all in one day but I find that if I make it in two stages it fits in better with our hectic schedule:


1kg Seville oranges
2.5 litres of water
Juice of two lemons
2kg sugar

1. Wash the oranges and remove the little buttons on the top of the oranges.
2. Place in a pan with 2.5 litres of water , cover and simmer for 2 hours or so until the oranges are tender. Test with a fork to see if tender.
3. Cool and remove oranges. Cut in half and remove pips. ( Do this in container so that you catch the juices and then slice the peel . ( I have in the past  when short of time pulsed the peel in the magimix until roughly chopped).





















4.Strain the juice and return with the chopped peel back into the saucepan. Add the lemon juice and the sugar. Stir, cover and leave over night.

 So this is where I am up to. Part Two tomorrow !






No comments: