Friday, May 18, 2012

Foodie Friday- banana jam

This is for Janie from Hedgecombers - probably too late for her glut of bananas but may be useful for next time! I like Janie ended up with rather a lot of bananas one weekend when I had got a good deal at the market and my parents brought more when they came to stay. There is only so much banana loaf , banana and custard you can eat ! It doesn't help when one of the members of the family doesn't like them so isn't able to help with the glut.
I resorted to the Internet and my jam making frenzy was taking control and I found this recipe( I think it came from an Autralian blogger called Mat) , I'm afraid it is in cups so many apologies:
1/4 cup lime juice or 1 medium lime ( I have used lemon juice same amount)
3 1/2 cups diced very ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Chop the banana and mix withe the lime juice. Add the sugar to the water in a saucepan and stir until dissolved and then bring the syrup to the boil. Add the banana and lame mixture to the syrup and heat over a low heat on a smoker . Add the cinnamon and cook for about 30 mins until it becomes thick. Then spoon into sterilised jars.

This is lovely on buttered toast or even as a filling for a cake. It is almost caramel like - sort of banoffee like . Yummy!

1 comment:

Beth of The Linen Cat said...

Wow, this sounds amazing. I have stopped buying bananas after they all ended up on loaves for about the past 6 months! No idea why everyone has suddenly gone off them but might buy some just to try out this recipe. Bethx (the linen cat)